Job Title: Program Officer
Department: Programs Department
Reports to: Programs Manager
About GLS: Global Learning for Sustainability (GLS) is a young women-led and inclusive organization founded in 2015 as a life skills education programme to respond to challenges youth face due to lack of life skills in making right and health choices. GLS later redefined its strategy to engage young people in addressing global challenges related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which align to:
- SDG 4 – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education to promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- SDG 5 – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- SDG 13 – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
We envision: A generation skilled to lead Individual, community and global.
Change with a Mission: To support and ensure that young people especially women and girls have opportunities to acquire global skills, learn from one another, and work together to solve common global challenges.
Program/project design, support implementation activities, monitoring of results and learnings as well as refinement of strategic process in program development.
- Liaise with the partners to ensure timely, efficient and effective implementation of projects.
- Monitor and support partners to ensure that programme and finance commitments are fulfilled through quarterly performance management and support supervision.
- Oversee partner capacity development for effective delivery of programs.
- Provide overall monthly project management including effective planning, implementation and monitoring of project outcomes.
- Conduct monthly and quarterly reviews on the progress of the project in terms of time, budget and quality and address any conflicts/bottlenecks/delays.
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with partners in planning, implementation, and reporting of project activities.
- Lead project review meetings and documentation of lessons learnt, challenges and new thinking in implementation of projects.
- Maintain contacts with relevant government agencies, private sector and other key stakeholders for the two projects and act as link between the actors and the projects.
- Ensure efficient use of resources, programme and finance commitments as per the partner contracts are being fulfilled.
- Undertake sound tracking of project progress and risk management using appropriate project cycle management tools
- Support the partners in development of subsequent years proposals and project documents.
- Support and monitor the partners through regular communications and programme visits and ensure that programme and finance commitments as per partner contract are being fulfilled.
- Liaise with the Finance and Administration Officer regarding monitoring of budgets and expenditure.
- Oversee development, review and submission of high-quality and relevant narrative reports including case stories in PRIMAS and external reports.
- Ensure that all scheduled partner and project reports such as progress and financial reports are delivered timely and that they are of good quality.
- Support partners to conduct outcome harvesting for effective reporting of change as a result of project interventions. Routinely support partners to adopt result based reporting.
Skills and Abilities
- Critical understanding, deep commitment to social justice and human rights issues worldwide
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Supportive team player
- Self-reliant, good problem solver and result oriented
- Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse populations from around the world
- Ability to travel independently in foreign countries, including in rural / remote areas
- Ability to combine the roles of objective evaluator and empathetic observer
- Strong administrative and organizational skills; the ability to manage time efficiently
- Computer proficiency (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint); willingness to learn additional applications (accessible technology)
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelors degree in development studies, social sciences, community psychology, social work and social administration or equivalent, in humanities or development (or other relevant fields) from a recognized institution.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in related field
- Experience in program/project implementation
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience with women Organizations or prior experience working with civil society in Uganda
- Knowledge of human rights, Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Experience supporting capacity development within civil society
How to apply:
Send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae (indicating your expected
remuneration) by emailing it to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 24th August, 2022